Thursday, May 29, 2008

This Week's Hot Links: Bring Out the Violins...

1. The New York Times explores the stories on how young hipsters live in Manhattan on non-investment banker salaries (and nope, they don't have trust funds either). Although I make far less than the IBs in the city, I resisted the urge to pull out my violin as I read this story. However, it is a good story to check out for those who 'have' to live in The City and need ways to trim their budgets.


2. And
here's a similar story about older "middle class" Americans struggling to "make ends meet." I refer you again to Drew Carey's insight we highlighted http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=22424944 for a little balance.



3. The USA Today raises alarm that
Generation X is not saving enough. I'm hoping that they're just over-blowing the savings thing--my prediction is that they'll be OK. Otherwise, the "Y Generation" (born between 1980-1999) will be there to bail them out via higher taxes.



4. Free Money Finance profiles a person who got an unpublished discount by..well..
asking for it.


5. And if you're still worried about gas prices, CNN Money lists
six ways you're probably wasting gas. When I drove, I was guilty of at least four of the six. How many did you do?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We do not waste that much gas. I encourage my husband to walk as much as I can when we just need to pop out - although a full grocery shop is too much to carry home. We have a hybrid Prius so leaving the engine running uses no fuel as it runs on the battery. It feels good to have an efficient car!

Charles J said...

I'm hoping once I leave The City and will need a car again that prices will be reasonable. They probably won't. $4 gas may be the new "reasonable" in America.